Pages

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

An Introvert's Day Out.

Today, I stepped out of my comfort zone and (gasp) spent time with two other photographer mamas I don't know very well! We spent the morning drinking coffee and taking photos of our littles in one of their beautiful downtown studios. One of them I've met before and talked to over Instagram and Facebook, but we've never actually gotten together and introduced our boys, however, the other was a friend of hers I didn't know. Now, to the average bear, this probably sounds like lunacy. I probably sound like a sad, sorry shut-in, but the truth is, as a full-time stay-at-home-mom (for the last 5+ years, mind you), this whole "making friends" business can be tricky! (and scary!)

I'm very picky about who I spend my time with, mainly because it takes a lot of time and effort to get myself and my kiddos ready and out the door to do anything and typically...if it involves me feeling out-of-my-comfort-zone even the slightest bit, I don't consider it worth the hassle. It's funny how a few years can change you from a once social butterfly to shy and introverted.

I definitely over-analyze myself and my words, worrying how I will sound on the receiving end. I'm a people-pleaser by nature, so I find my inner dialogue to be that of self-scrutiny and filtration. It's easier to stay quiet than to let my verbal diarrhea get the better of me.

Anyway, more to the point. I had fun. Oliver had fun. Outings like these cause me unbelievable anxiety, but once I'm there and all is said and done, I almost always feel refreshed and encouraged. It's all about the people you choose to spend your fleeting moments of free-time with. These mamas and their beautiful kiddos were such a delight and I can't wait to do it again.

Here are some of the photos I took of Dex while we were there!


Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment