Pages

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Courage.

I originally posted on Instagram, but I decided to post my Sling Diary audition on my blog as well. Mainly for myself, to keep my thoughts pieced together neatly on this little blog that holds so much of my heart, and then also because I wanted to include a few more pictures than I originally posted in my "official" audition. So, here's my compilation paired with my original (short, but sweet) words on courage.

Courage.
I used to be so afraid. Of everything. I was afraid of rejection, of what my peers thought of me, of being alone, of being different, of being strange. I've spent a good chunk of my life trying to primp and prune and alter my skin instead of simply striving to find comfort within its confines. Did I say the wrong thing? Did I make a fool of myself? If only I was thinner, brighter, more beautiful. It wasn't until the flesh that I felt so awkward within stretched and changed, holding new life that I began to realize it's worth. MY worth.
Instead of grasping tightly, white knuckles bared, my finger tips began to loosen, to linger...tickling gently my past life of fear.

We are not the perception of the masses, of the 'more beautiful', of the 'more intelligent'. We are not to be defined by the fear of rejection, the longing for acceptance. I hope I can teach you, dear one, now that I have learned myself...that our flesh is finite, it will stretch and shrink and age and wrinkle.

We are our hearts, our passions, our bare, beating insides. Courage starts with accepting this truth and inching toward the edge, letting go of the tethers that we cling to, and taking flight. Be courageous in your skin, little boy, and roar like a mighty lion.

Yours,
Mumma

No comments:

Post a Comment